Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director of Contract and Legal Operations
at Altarum Institute
- # Positions
- Current Opening
Altarum Institute is pleased to announce a new position opening for a Director of Contract and Legal Operations. The new Director will lead the combined Department and serve as the focal point for interaction with the operating units. The Director will report to the CAO, SVP & General Counsel, and will oversee the day-to-day administrative and management functions of the Department. In coordination with the General Counsel, the Director will be responsible for driving the performance of the Department by researching, developing, and implementing operational best practices across a wide-range of areas; and will prepare and monitor the annual budget, as well as long-term fiscal plans for the Department, and direct the development, implementation, and adherence to budgets and systems to achieve operating and financial objectives.
• Successful execution of all activities within the Department.
• Trusted advisor to the General Counsel in a highly visible role, engaging with a wide array of internal and external customers.
• Primary interface of the Department with operating unit directors and deputies to ensure highest quality and timely support is provided.
• Assessment/measurement of performance of support to operating units and other support service departments, and ongoing and continuous improvement efforts to enhance this support.
• Day-to-day management oversight of all Department staff.
The Director will oversee the contractual, legal, and procurement activities supporting operating units and departments. The Director is responsible for ensuring that all agreements, contracts, grants and proposals are designed and administered in compliance with regulatory, statutory, and legal requirements, while supporting achievement of the financial goals of corporate management and the operating units. Specific activities under the purview of the Director include:
• Effective and efficient management of resources, systems, and initiatives.
• Conducting analyses of potential clients, contract vehicles (state and federal), and potential collaborators.
• Providing guidance on pricing/business strategies.
• Maintaining and overseeing contracting processes, proposal procedures, and plans.
• Providing input and reviewing complex cost proposals and negotiating price, terms, and conditions for contracts, subcontracts, grants, and other agreements.
• Serving as the primary interface between Altarum and government agencies to resolve contract/procurement and/or grant issues.
• Providing cradle to grave contract support, as/where needed.
• Developing, maintaining, and improving business development resources and tools.
• Identifying areas for business process improvement both internally for the Department’s staff and in collaboration with operations and other shared services functions.
• Executing Department initiatives to be a high-value, scalable support function to a growing and complex business.
• Managing centralized intake processes and allocating resources.
• Providing quality and timely support in all areas outlined in principal accountabilities and job responsibilities.
• Providing work direction to Department staff.
• Delegating authority and responsibilities as required to ensure quality of execution.
• In collaboration with the General Counsel, guiding the staff with respect to current responsibilities and assignments, as well as career progression and growth paths.
• In collaboration with the General Counsel, continuously assessing work load of the staff and identification of hiring requirements or realignments necessary to maintain high quality and timely support.
• Training less experienced, more junior personnel, as well as senior personnel to become SMEs.
Qualifications: Knowledge & Skills:
• Knowledge of contract budget and proposal cost formulation for government and commercial clients.
• Strong understanding of Federal procurement regulations and practices (FAR).
• Knowledge of (or ability to quickly learn) state procurement regulations and contract vehicles (and pursuit of same).
• Extensive knowledge of estimating and pricing disciplines.
• Extensive knowledge in the following areas: new business development / risk mitigation analysis, cost/price proposal strategies, cost type contracts, FFP, T&M, performance based contracting, multiple award schedules, grants, government regulation as well as State and commercial practices, cost accounting standards, disclosure statements, forward pricing agreements, estimating systems.
• Strong problem-solving skills, ability to find creative solutions, and talent for motivating others.
• High degree of professionalism, initiative, and ability to work independently in supporting the Department on a variety of issues.
• Courteous and culturally sensitive in all dealings; able to adapt communication style, delivery, and content to any audience.Embraces change and welcomes fresh perspectives; entrepreneurial approach to developing and considering new ideas and success models for delivering services to support business goals.
• Successful in deploying and managing Department processes and systems, including contract management, project management, and records management, and driving efficiency, collaboration, scalable support for the business.
• Willingness and ability to travel on occasion to other Altarum (or perhaps client/contract office) locations – as much as 3-5 business days per month.
• Bachelor’s degree in business administration or a related discipline. Advanced degree preferred.
• At least 10 years of Federal government contracting experience including responsibility for negotiating and managing contracts (cradle to grave)
• Minimum 8 years’ experience in personnel management, oversight and evaluation
• In-depth understanding and proven experience with US Government clients
• Experience in non-profit environment a plus
Altarum Institute (Altarum) is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Altarum serves the public good by solving complex systems problems to improve human health. Altarum creates and implements solutions to advance health among vulnerable and publicly-insured populations. Public sector clients include the U.S. Department of Defense, Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Agriculture, Department of Veterans Affairs, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and various state agencies nationwide. Altarum also serves clients in the philanthropic and private sectors. Areas of expertise include health data and analytics; value-based care; public health systems design, development and information exchange; behavioral health and substance use disorders; childhood and adolescent health; medical education; food and nutrition; consumer engagement; elder care; health disparities and equity; and military and veterans’ health.
In addition to the meaningful and challenging work, Altarum offers an outstanding benefits program that includes paid time off, tuition reimbursement, 401k (5% employer contribution), a flexible work environment, and much more. We invite you to explore exciting and rewarding career opportunities with us.
Altarum Institute is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or disability.