Beaumont Health System
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Power Plant Engineer - Facilities Management Farm Hil
at Beaumont Health System
Service and Maintenance
Beaumont Hospital FH
Facilities Management Farm Hil
Under limited supervision, operates and maintains major power plant and/or auxiliary equipment such as boilers, chillers, programmable controls, pumps, condensers, generators, air compressors and refrigeration equipment for all hospital buildings. Programs and monitors equipment controls, and makes adjustments as necessary. Also, responsible for monitoring all building utilities and fire alarm systems, as well as providing ongoing sampling of boilers and maintaining appropriate steam pressure to operate the building.
· Maintains constant surveillance of power plant equipment in operation by observing programmable controls and energy management system. Takes water samples, tests and takes immediate action.
· Operates the computerized energy management computer and fire protection computer equipment. Troubleshoots problems as necessary.
· Programs and monitors boiler controls for proper operation.
· Maintains pressures, proper water levels and anticipates variation in steam load.
· Maintains daily written records and logs in TMS of various phases of boiler operation and activities of particular shift to which assigned.
· Records and monitors daily natural gas and water usage.
· Monitors incoming utility information, such as incoming city water pressure, electrical power and natural gas.
· Maintains and operates electric centrifugal and steam absorption chilled water systems.
· Maintains and provides preventive maintenance on building air handling units.
· Maintains working knowledge of hospital, state and other appropriate regulations and standards related to boiler operations and safety.
· Performs annual maintenance on boilers and associated equipment, including boiler teardown for inspections.
· Makes regular inspection rounds, identifies and takes appropriate action with regard to any suspected or identified malfunctioning equipment or breach of security.
· Regularly maintains equipment, shuts boiler down on predetermined schedule, starts the system when necessary.
· Makes various control adjustments as needed throughout the hospital.
· Responds to emergency maintenance calls during off shifts/hours.
· Responsible for maintaining all critical power plant systems in peak operating condition.
· Makes adjustments on auxiliary equipment; air handlers, temperature valves and controls.
· Responsible for cooling towers; maintain water temperatures of the condensate water, fan control to control chilled water temps of the chiller and absorber. Also need to conduct Spring clean-up for cooler season.
· Maintain compressors to provide air for pneumatic controls, valves and the controlled devices. Replace belts, change oil and filters twice a year. Check gauges and controls, log motors, do monthly inspection of air compressor.
· Responsible for set up of boilers for inspections; disable the boiler, removing the burner, oil connections, air circulating line, problems with fire eye, low water cut off, drain and wash out boiler, remove hand hole and man hole covers, open all doors, scrape refractory and add a sealer. Set up state inspection and coordinate with vendor to set up and inspect. Perform boiler chemical test.
· Clean cooling tower. Wash down inner and outer walls, under the walls and wash the floors. Remove drain on the condenser line and remove the screen to clean. Fill or add lime-away. Maintain compressors by changing the oil, belts and check and maintain correct pressure.
· Maintains pumps; changing bearing assembly, couplings and motors. Remove water columns and replace site glass, valves and repairs leaks on boilers. Clean strainers, lug pumps, purse pumps, and replace as needed. Lubricate the feed water pumps, twice a year and check pressure.
· Responsible for air handlers; replace air filters, grease damper motors, freeze stats, grease control arms, belts, adjust motors, valves, diaphragms, check and adjust pneumatic controls, replace traps an strainers.
· Perform generator test. Perform PM's on pumps, motors, compressors, air handlers. Check belts, motors, log bearings, motors and fill grease cups.
· Winterize air handler coils, drain chilled water system, blow out with air. Fill circulating pump with Glycol and drain to protect from freezing. Drain main and chilled water system for winter.
· Exhibits excellent customer service skills and behavior towards internal and external customers and hospital staff.
· Adheres to service excellence and performance standards.
· Demonstrates safe work practices and attitudes, follow safety rules, works to prevent unsafe conditions an behaviors, and participates in organizational and departmental safety programs.
· Completes all required compliance standards that may be department specific and/or identified by the organization.
· Maintains current licensure, registration and/or certification, as applicable, at all times.
· Physical ability to work in a number of areas, climb ladders, carry tools and lift moderately heavy equipment.
· Walking, bending, pushing, lifting involved. Ability to operate snow removal equipment.
· Requires a high school diploma or equivalent and graduation from a trade or vocational school or an Associate Degree program.
· Requires a minimum of four to six years working experience as a Boiler/Power Plant Operator in a multi-building facility.
· Must possess a current High-Pressure Boiler Operator and 3rd Class Refrigeration Licenses. Requires a valid Michigan driver's license and insurability by Beaumont Health's carrier to drive company vehicles.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills will be required in order to communicate with vendors, guests, hospital staff, management, co-workers and all other persons associated directly or indirectly with Beaumont Health.
· The wide variety and ages of the equipment offer a very challenging and complex environment. The job requires moderate autonomous decision-making.
· The job requires regular operation of standard office equipment, and ability to perform computer data entry.