Genesee Education Consultant Services, Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Genesee Education Consultant Services, Inc.
Openings as of 3/20/2019
- Bus Driver JobID: 765
- Position Type:
- Date Posted:
- Drives the school bus in accordance with district standards and the State of Michigan traffic ordinances to ensure that students are transported in a safe and efficient manner.
- Responsible for loading and unloading students and coordinating the activity with the assistance of parents/guardians, staff and the transportation aide, as appropriate.
- Operates and is responsible for working with the transportation aide to ensure the safe operation of the wheelchair lift.
- Responsible for working with the transportation aide and district employees to meet the individual medical, safety and behavioral needs of the students being transported, including oral and tracheal suctioning, crisis prevention intervention, Diastat and other required procedures as identified in the student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP).
- Ensures that wheelchairs are locked down and secure in accordance with district procedures.
- Ensures with the transportation aide, that other equipment used to transport special education students is properly secured before moving the bus to provide for the safety of students.
- Maintains the following school bus driver skills and demonstrates satisfactory performance of these skills:
- Starting the engine.
- Turning corners and curves.
- Starting from a stopped position on an upgrade.
- Backing and steering.
- Signaling for turns and stops and for overtaking slower moving vehicles.
- Showing judgment in driving according to road, traffic and weather conditions.
- Maneuvering bus in limited quarters in order to:
- Park parallel and diagonally, pull out of a parking space and back into or out of a parking space.
- Turn bus around in a limited area.
- Pull off road into a loading zone and return to the roadway.
- Position bus for loading students at the school.
- Operate the vehicle without assistance.
- Completes and documents the pre- and post-checklist which includes inspecting the bus lights, brakes, turn signals, gas, oil and tires in accordance with district standards.
- Fuels the bus in accordance with district procedures.
- Maintains the appearance of the bus and ensures the interior is clean, the exterior is washed, the back of the bus is clean to ensure that lettering, lights and license plate can be viewed at all times, and windows in the front, back and driver side are clean and clear for maximum visibility.
- Reports in writing according to established procedures any needed bus repairs and follows up to ensure that bus repairs are completed in a timely fashion.
- Responsible for maintaining discipline of passengers while on the bus and for working with the program staff to maintain discipline in accordance with district procedures.
- In cooperation with program staff, implements behavior intervention plans, as appropriate.
- Ensures with the transportation aide that students' belongings and materials, including backpacks and medical supplies, are delivered with the students.
- Demonstrates proper fire drill procedures, evacuation of the bus and the proper use of fire extinguishers, flares and other safety equipment.
- Maintains a master route book and immediately reports and notes all changes in routes.
- Prepares reports when necessary involving personnel, student and staff incidents and vehicle accidents, including broken glass and other equipment.
- Consistently models Win-Win leadership.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Job Title:Bus Driver
Job Summary:The bus driver is responsible for ensuring the safe and efficient transportation of students over specific routes in accordance with established projected driving times and route schedules. Responsible for working with parents/guardians, teachers and staff in the assigned area of responsibility to ensure the safe pickup and drop off of students at designated locations.
Essential Duties (May include, but not limited to):
Education:High school diploma or equivalent required. Ability to secure and maintain required licenses and certifications through the State of Michigan and the Michigan Department of Education. Ability to pass a physical examination and a drug test required. Valid Michigan Driver’s License required with no points preferred. Maintain a personal telephone to ensure communication with district personnel. Ability to participate in and successfully complete 15 hour district-sponsored transportation training program. Ability to participate in and successfully complete First Aid, Cardiac Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), Bloodborne Pathogen, behavior intervention, and hazardous materials training required. Other required training may include oral and tracheal suctioning, crisis prevention intervention and Diastat.
Experience:Prefer candidates with a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with a minimum “B” classification,
“P” passenger, “S” school bus and air brake endorsements and experience transporting Special Education students.
Maintains a positive working relationship with transportation aides, parents/guardians and staff. Demonstrates a working knowledge of the Michigan vehicle code and school bus safety policies and procedures. Works to maintain proficiency, as required skill sets change with technology, assistive technology and/or the needs of the district. Exhibits emotional stability and physical stamina necessary to lift, move and position special education students ages 0-26 years and to perform the essential duties of the job. Exhibits self-control, mature judgment, congeniality and ethical standards in all working relationships. Punctuality and good attendance are requirements for the position. Ability to work a flexible workday and work week. Strong teamwork, interpersonal communication and problem solving skills. Discretion with confidential information. Exercises good judgment and makes decisions in accordance with the State of Michigan vehicle code, CDL requirements, board policies and established administrative guidelines.